What to Do About Stress
By Craig Lock
The "Thirty Point Plan" for the "small and big business
person"... and everyone else.
Stress occurs when tension
rises, as a person has difficulty in adapting to extraordinary
circumstances in life and has concerns in meeting their personal
expectations. So we ALL get stressed at certain times in our lives. The key
is managing stress effectively. Hope these tips may be helpful...
1. Be positive - see problems as challenges and perhaps even
OPPORTUNITIES. Have goals and visions. N.B: Have a positive mental
2. Play sports and step up your exercise. Activity takes your
mind off your problems.
3. Talk things over with someone.
Determine what causes you stress and try to eliminate it.
5. Become physically fit.
6. Balance work, home/family and
7. Enjoy your play and relaxation - it is precious time!
adequate sleep and rest.
9. Allow yourself some relaxation and meditation time every day.
10. Learn relaxation techniques and systematic ways to relax.
11. Give yourself time to think.
12. Know your limits and your
symptoms of stress... and how to relieve them. Learn to say 'no' to others'
excessive demands on you. Don't say "yes" when you mean "no".
"Coast" if necessary.
14. Worry only about that which can be changed by you. I like the
quotation which goes like this "God grant me the serenity to accept the
things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and
wisdom to know the difference." I often do not follow this rule.
15. Use your imagination to reduce your stress levels. Be creative.
16. Learn to switch off thinking about work when you get home.
17. Think about your diet and eat nutritious food.
18. Learn to
plan your time better.
19. Learn to recognize and to accept your limitations as well as
the limitations (and faults) of others.
20. Learn to have FUN. You must
be able to enjoy your work.
21. Learn to praise others and be positive.
22. Learn to
tolerate and to forgive.
23. Learn to avoid unnecessary competition. You don't have to be
the best at everything.
24. Learn to confide in others.
Learn to accept what can't be changed in others, i.e., personality or
26. Learn to accept that some things aren't as important to
others as they are to you.
27. Learn to delegate - don't try to do
28. Learn to recognize stress. Do not become so accustomed to
feeling stress that it becomes a normal part of your life.
Don't let your enemies, or those who thwart you, rent space inside your
head (thanks, Nancy)!
30. Have trust in other people.
how stressful or hopeless your situation may appear to be... say
"this too shall pass". Hardship, trials and the severest tribulations develop
inner strength and character. Like the seasons change, everything
changes...as life is a series of cycles - a time of sowing and a time of
reaping. And God is with you and in you. And finally,
31. NEVER GIVE UP
HOPE. ALWAYS have GREAT FAITH IN YOURSELF AND ESPECIALLY IN GOD, our
Creator, or whatever YOU understand God to be: The Universe, the Ultimate
Source, Life, Great Spirit, your Higher Self ... that things will
eventually work out for you. Just know that there is a "special"
plan and purpose for your life. Perhaps it is to do good deeds by helping
others... and so help yourself.
In seeking it, you will make the most of
your unique potential and gifts and fulfill your unique Divine
All the best in MANAGING your stress levels.
Good luck * Craig Lock ("Information and Inspiration Distributer")
"Encouraging, uplifting, impacting and empowering people through the
power of words and thought energy. Change YOUR world and you change THE world."
* luck, as 'they' say, is where preparedness meets opportunity
"Do not fret about today, because tomorrow will have enough cares of its
own." (or something like that!) - the Bible ..and everything turns out OK in the
end, doesn't it?
Craig Lock has written extensively in the field of self
help. This piece is a summary from his first published book HANDBOOK
TO SURVIVE - a collection of writings on various subjects to help every
man or woman survive in a rapidly changing, uncertain world. HANDBOOK can
be ordered at:
http://www.craiglock.com/books.html or contact Craig at
you have knowledge, let others light a candle to it." - Margaret Fuller
"Light your taper from the candle of knowledge, which is freely given."
- Dr Andy Eastcott (Gisborne (That's a metaphor, btw)
make a living by what we get...but we make a life by what we give." - Norman