Top 10 Wedding Do's And Don'ts
By Yasmin Shikina
1. Do send out save the date cards as soon as you can, preferably 6 months prior, so that your guests have enough planning time.
2. Do make it a point of finding out all the legal requirements for a marriage license at your choice destination. It would be awful to get there and find out that there is a waiting period to get married.
3. Do make a point of setting aside some time to spend with your guest. Arrange a special dinner or brunch explicitly for these guests. This can be done before or after the wedding. They have traveled a long distance to share in your special day.
4. Donít try and go at it alone. Planning a wedding can be a daunting task. Hire a wedding coordinator if at all possible. They have the experience and the connections to get the job done just the way you want it. They can make your life easier and less stressful.
5. Donít forget special gifts for your guest such as baskets in their rooms filled with flip flops, sun tan lotion, visors, etc. It keeps with the theme and adds a special touch. Remember to include a note of thanks in the baskets. Your guest will feel very special.
6. Do pick a wedding dress with the climate and location in mind. Also remember that the dress will need to travel with you so choose carefully.
7. Do preview your hair and makeup prior to the special day. Be sure to bring a picture of the dress, a certain hairstyle and makeup, so that the stylist has an idea of the look you want to achieve. There is no time for surprises on your wedding day.
8. Donít limit yourself to only summer months to plan your island /beach wedding. Remember, these destinations have beautiful weather all year round.
9. Donít worry about having to stay with a beach or island theme. You can definitely build on the island surroundings and create your own.
10. Donít stress out. If you donít hire a wedding planner make sure you put someone in charge to handle details and issues as they arise. Your best man can be in charge of tipping and making last minute payments. Put the payments in individual envelopes labeled with the service, i.e. photographer, bartender.
Once the day arrives, let go and enjoy. All the hard work is done. Unwind and have fun. That is what itís all about.