The Ten Steps to Financial
By Craig Lock
The ordinary (and perhaps even lazy) person's sure and steady way to wealth
and happiness. "Dream the impossible dream".
The "secrets" to better money management and perhaps even "riches". No, really
there are no secrets. It's all simple basic common-sense.
I have seen statistics that reveal that 95% of Americans after working all their
lives retire with less than $2500 in cash. Amazing! Don't be one of the 95% of
the population, who depend on the government, charity
or family to maintain a bare minimum standard of living on retirement.
Now, how to do it...
Find a quiet place (like the woods or a deserted beach) and let that still inner
voice talk to you. What do you really want most out of life: Is it happiness,
health, money, financial security or doing good deeds, being a good parent,
wife, husband, etc.? Set goals for ALL areas of your life: family, work,
leisure, sport, spiritual and so on. Where do you plan to be in 1,2,3,5 gears
time. Then WRITE them down.
Let your imagination "run riot". Think even "the impossible" it may be far
closer than you think.
"Whatever is ardently desired, enthusiastically act upon, must inevitably come
The main points:
* Without financial independence, you are a slave to money.
* Achieving financial independence will take time, dedication and lots of hard
work... but will be worth it in the end.
* Remember, money isn't everything. It has been said that 'money is the root of
all evil", but only an obsession and love of money for it's own sake, I believe,
is bad. Substantial amounts of money can be used for charitable purposes, if
that is your wish ... but "charity begins at home".
* Nearly everyone has the ability to be successful, but very few have the desire
as well as the commitment to make the sacrifices necessary to achieve wealth.
1. Accept that you can achieve financial success and make a commitment to
yourself to attain it. It is within your grasp if you really want it. Really
BELIEVE it - that is the most important step. Only then will the incredible
power of the human mind work out a means of achieving it. Reject the idea that
work is simply something you have to do until the age of retirement.
2. Ask yourself this: Where do you want to be in 2,5,10 years time? Set goals
that excite you. If you could do absolutely anything with your life, what would
you do. If you had unlimited money or found out you only had a month to live,
what would you do? Write them down.
3. Establish your current financial position. What is the cash inflow and
outflow. Horrors! Which areas can be improved upon? Everything!
4. Develop your NEW plans. Decide what action you are going to take that will
move you closer to the achievement of your goals? All goals should be specific
and have a time constraint.
5. Closely monitor the performance of your investments and your rate of savings.
6. Try to put extra savings into investment (it could be your own business)
7. Review and reward yourself annually if your targets are met.
8. Pursue your personal goals and business ideas with all you've got. With real
PASSION and PURPOSE. If you really BELIEVE In them, they are far more likely to
9. Still try to live a BALANCED life... or as balanced as you can make it. Money
doesn't buy happiness; yet I'd rather be unhappy in comfort!
10. The highest cost of all is the cost of waiting to TAKE ACTION to change your
current circumstances in life (as 94% of the population apparently are
dissatisfied with their situations. It is up to you to do things differently. So
take ACTION now- to change course. You get only one shot at life, so make the
most of it.
To recap... in a line...
THE THREE LEGS TO GROWING RICH
Like the three legs of a stool. All are equally important in ensuring financial
independence. The key:
MAKING MONEY + SAVING IT + INVESTING WISELY = FINANCIAL SUCCESS
Have a PLAN, then put it into ACTION.
"People don't plan to fail, but fail to plan."
* True prosperity is created from within. All prosperity is created in the mind.
You are only as wealthy, happy or as prosperous as WHAT YOU FEEL... and what you
make up your mind to be. And money is not everything. For me, health, family and
happiness are far far more important considerations.
N.B: 99% of the population do not achieve financial success, because they lack
the real COMMITMENT to achieve financial independence. I believe they are too
busy earning a living to survive to really THINK about how to make big money.
Really use the unlimited power of your CREATIVE IMAGINATION. However, it takes a
great commitment in TIME, MONEY and ENERGY and patience to achieve ultimate
financial independence. So make that effort and INVEST IN YOURSELF, first.
Because (can I begin a sentence with a "because") that is the best investment
one can make in a lifetime!
Aim high, dream high.
If you aim for the tree tops, you might not get off the ground... so why not aim
for the stars.
Craig Lock (Eagle Productions)
* "luck", as 'they' say, is where preparedness (is there such a word?) meets
"Whatever the mind can conceive, can be achieved."
"Believe in yourself and in your dream,
Though impossible things may seem
Someday, somehow you'll get through
To the goal you have in view.
Mountains fall and seas divide,
Before the one who in his stride
Takes a hard road by day
Sweeping obstacles away
Believe in yourself and in your plan
Say not - I cannot - I can
The prizes of life we fail to win
Because we doubt the power within..."
About the Author:
Craig has worked for "many moons" in the financial services industry (in the
days when he had a "proper job")...before becoming a writer. He has studied and
written extensively on money matters: articles, brochures for financial
institutions and books.
The various books that Craig "felt inspired to write" are available at
"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in
life, as by the obstacles which he (or she) has overcome while trying to
- Booker T Washington