How To Stay Young
By Steve Goodier
An aging man was walking with his friend. He said, "I'm a walking
"How so?" the friend replied.
He lamented, "My hair line is in recession, my stomach is a
victim of inflation, and both of these together are putting me
into a deep depression!"
We can't help but grow older physically, but we can stay young in
other ways. Though I cannot credit the original author, I think
the following piece, sent in by a reader, is worth repeating. Do
you want to stay young?
How to Stay Young
1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and
height. Let the doctor worry about them. That is why you pay
2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.
3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts,
gardening, whatever. Never let the brain idle. "An idle mind is
the devil's workshop."
4. Enjoy the simple things. When the children are young, that is
all that you can afford. When they are in college, that is all
that you can afford. When you are on retirement, that is all that
you can afford!
5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.
Laugh so much that you can be tracked in the store by your
6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person
who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be alive while you
are alive, don't put out a mailbox on the highway of death and
just wait in residence for your mail.
7. Surround yourself with what you love, whether it is family,
pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is
8. Cherish your health. If it is good, preserve it. If it is
unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get
9. Don't take guilt trips. Go to the mall, the next county, a
foreign country, but not to guilt country.
10. At every opportunity, tell the people you love that you love
Steve Goodier's books & newsletter: