ALL THINGS FRUGAL, Home of The Pennypincher Ezine and Tightwad Tidbits Daily

 

Frugal Articles




Groupon

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

Category:  Home Improvement

Related Links:  | Home Improvement | Maintenance: Inside | Maintenance: Outside |

Removing Toxic Mold In Walls

 The Hidden Enemy

By Rich Fuller

One of the toxic mold's favorite places to grow is behind the wall. Unfortunately, toxic mold in walls is hard to find. How do you know if you have toxic mold in the walls, and what can you do about it?

Mold grows everywhere. It is important in nature for breaking down dead material and recycling nutrients. It's not so useful when found in our homes, however, and can cause health trouble from minor allergic reactions to very serious medical conditions.

The best place for mold to grow is in a wet, warm and dark place. This is why the walls of your home are ideal. For a comprehensive guide visit http://www.toxicblackmoldhelp.org where you'll find resource for inspection, symptoms, and removal of black mold. Mold can often be found growing in "hidden" places such as this, and it is difficult to find and deal with.

First, you must determine if you have a mold problem. Then, the problem must be fixed. You must remove the offending mold, and then take measures to prevent the mold from growing again. If you have mold in your walls, it may be an indication that there is a water problem in your house.

Finding The Mold
If there is mold growing somewhere that it cannot be seen, you will often smell it first. Mold has a musty, earthy smell. You may also notice that you have an allergic allergy when you enter your home, or certain parts of your home. This probably means you have mold hiding out somewhere.

Before you go poking around for mold, you must realize that disturbing the mold could cause spores to be released. These spores can get into the air and cause health problems, or contaminate other areas of the house.

If there is a water leak, or some part of your house where there has been water damage, you most certainly have mold. If you are unsure, you may wish to call a professional. Hidden mold is especially hard for homeowners to clean themselves.

Cleaning Up The Mold
Cleaning up toxic mold in walls may be a big construction job. For this reason, it is best to consult a professional. When you are dealing with toxic, or any kind of mold, you should always wear goggles and protective clothes. You do not want the mold to come into contact with anything else, including yourself.

Look for a mold specialist, who has experience in mold cleanup. Check to see if they are familiar with the EPA's mold guidelines, and those according to the ACGIH, the American Conference of Governmental Industry Hygienists.

It's very important to clean up the mold quickly. The presence of water causes damage to houses and lowers property value immediately. The longer you let the problem go on, the worse it will eventually be to clean up, and the more damage it will do to your home.

Deal With The Water Problem
When there is water or something wet in your home, dry it quickly. Make sure damp areas are dried completely. Water leaks in the house may come from the roof or gutters, so make sure to do regular maintenance in those areas.

Keep the humidity level of your house as low as possible. If necessary, buy a dehumidifier to run sometimes. This will reduce humidity.

Make sure your house gets plenty of outdoor air, circulation and sunshine. It's a good idea to run the bathroom fan often, since that is where mold often builds up.

Most importantly, deal with your mold problem immediately, before things get worse.

Learn more about black toxic black mold health effects, visit our resources on black mold health problems and removal of toxic black mold.

 

Database Error

Error establishing a database connection