10 Ways To Get The Most Out Of Your Retirement
By Elsie Shan
As the days of your retirement approaches, the feeling of anxiety and anticipation will continue to build up. And when the day comes to pass, and when the dust starts to settle, you will be left alone in this new phase of your life. For many, there is no need to beat the rush hour traffic or long business meetings. Now is the time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. The many years you have toiled day and night to make your retirement enjoyable. The worst part about retirement is the possibility of being inactive for a long time - not knowing what to do with all the free time.
Here are 10 tips to make your retirement enjoyable and meaningful.
* Working part time - Many people find that working part time after their retirement gives them the opportunity to remain active in life. It could be any type of work like taking part time accounting job or part time real estate agent or anything that you are capable of. This will help take away the inactivity of retirement.
* Get a pet - Keeping a cat, dog, fish or bird will help you keep yourself busy after retirement. Dogs like a golden retriever can be good companion for the retiree. It so much fun to watch your doggy grow and they can become your companion when you go for your evening walks.
* Be active in your church activities - Getting involved with your church can also keep you busy. Get involve with the younger generation through mentoring programs or similar activities. For the ladies, there are always the cooking activities that you can indulge yourself in.
* Going back to school - You could take the extra time you have after your retirement to pursue the education you have missed. It will be exciting to attend courses that interest you.
* Pick up a hobby - Find a hobby that can keep you busy. Find friends that will go fishing or play golf with.
* Get to know your grandchildren - This is the time to bond with your grandchildren. If you are still capable of outdoor life, invite your grandchildren for a camping trip. Teach them a few outdoor tricks that you know and they will remember it for life.
* Read a novel - Reading keeps the mind agile and alert. It will help you relax and fantasize a little. You can go over to the local library and pick up a book to read over the weekend. Start with easy to read books to get the momentum going.
* Go on a holiday - You could also go on a holiday to change the pace of life after retirement. Visit places that interest you and learn new culture or language. It will make your life after retirement more meaningful.
* Write a biography or blog - You could make use of your time to write a biography of yourself. You don't have to publish it but just do it for self satisfaction. Maybe you could also start blogging about your retirement and keep yourself updated with blogs of similar theme.
* Learn musical instrument - Music can relax the mind. Learning a musical instrument will help replenish the inner energy and provide the motivation to push yourself further.
These are the basic tips that can make your retirement more meaningful. Hopefully you will continue getting yourself active and look for other ways to fill you time after retirement.
About the Author: If you need more information, visit my website at Retirement Calculator and Retirement Planning.