10 Tips For Getting You and Your Child Ready For Kindergarten
By Maryanne Fitzgerald
Starting school can be a stressful time for children, as well as
parents. Do your eyes glisten with tears every time you think of your 'baby'
going off to school? Do your nerves rattle when you envision your little one in
the care of someone else? Do you wonder what you're going to do with all your
spare time now that you're child is starting school? (ok, so maybe you're not
wondering about that!)
Here are 10 ways to ease your child's fears and anxieties about
starting school (and yours too!)
1) Explain to your child that this is a new phase in their life.
They are a big boy/girl now, and they will learn all kinds of fun things at
2) If your child is walking to school, pick the safest route,
and walk with them. This is a good chance to teach them about road safety. i.e.
looking both ways before crossing the street, etc.
3) Teach your child their full name, home address, parents names
and phone number. Practice this every day. A good time to practice is while going
to/coming home from school
4) If your child has never been away from you before, practice
leaving them with a friend for a few hours at a time, or taking them to a play
5) Label coats, shoes, and bags with their name on the INSIDE,
so strangers cannot call them by name. And of course, teach them the dangers of
talking to strangers. Another good thing to practice while walking to/from
6) Emphasize to your child that when you leave them at school,
you WILL come back for them. Hug them, kiss them, then leave. Don't linger -
this only makes it harder for you both.
7) Don't let your child hear you say things like 'I'm losing my
baby'. Always speak positively about school.
8) If you know who your child's teacher will be, tell your child
their name. If possible, have your child meet their teacher before school
9) Offer your child lots of reassurance. Don't tease or let
anyone mock his/her fears.
10) Above all, keep a positive attitude! If your child sees that
you are excited they will be excited as well. A positive attitude now will serve
them well for years to come!
Remember, it will be many years until they're off to
college, they're not leaving the nest quite yet!
Maryanne Fitzgerald is the
publisher of Moms World Ezine. To subscribe visit http://www.homeincomesolutions.net