Prepare Ahead For A Quick Easy Meal At Night
By Kaye Dennan
We usually have a pre-warning that we will have very busy and rushed meals during the week. It could be that it is footy practice, netball practice, children's concerts, or whatever, but usually we do get a bit of forewarning. To help you cope with these busy mealtimes I am going to give you some tips for quick easy meals so that you can be more prepared and also less stressed when you get home from work.
It is so stressful to be driving home from work knowing that the minute you walk in the house you are going to be bombarded with chores and at the same time try and get a quick meal on the table because one or all of the family have to rush out the door very shortly.
Tips for getting ahead of yourself
1. On the weekend look at the week and plan ahead
2. If you know you have a busy night the next night, cook a double amount of food.
3. The night before cook a bacon and egg pie while you are cooking dinner
4. If you don't have anything precooked from the day before plan meal like curried eggs so that you can cook the eggs in the morning while you are getting ready for work. You could even cook the sauce if you have time. In the evening all you have to do is cook a quick curried white sauce and pop in the eggs, some micro-waved carrots, peas and corn and there you have a healthy meal in no time.
5. Put on a slow cooker before going to work.
These five tips should help you approach a busy evening being more organized.
Meals I would suggest to cook ahead
1. Meat and potato pie (cottage pie) - make 2 and save one then microwave servings as needed
2. Chilli con carne and keep some for the second night, or
3. When you cook the meat for the chilli con carne, before you put the sauce in take out sufficient meat to use for tacos the next night
4. Slow cooked stew that will do two nights
5. A roast dinner with enough meat for 2 nights and cook extra vegetables for the second night
1. Make a green salad in the morning, leave it undressed and in the evening quickly fry off some chicken slices to put on top
2. Cook eggs as suggest above
3. Prepare some toasted sandwiches and cook them for a quick easy meal
4. Make scrambled eggs and serve with bacon and tomatoes
Any of these suggestions would see you through a busy evening and leave you less stressed to deal with your activities. Even to cook quick easy meals it does take a little planning to make sure you have everything in store ready to go. I find by keeping a basic supply in the pantry I can usually put a quick easy meal together without too many problems.
© Kaye Dennan.
Experience of over 10 years in the food industry and as a working mum Kaye Dennan has a lot of skill in putting together quick meals so it made sense to write an ebook. "Easy Budget Meals 4U" is my new ebook and you see it and photos at http://easybudgetmeals4U.com . Follow my blog for lots of cooking tips at http://easybudgetmeals4u-blog.com/ and you are invited to leave your comments.