Bathroom Storage Ideas For Small Bathrooms
or ANY Bathroom
by Nancy, the Frugal Decorating Diva
One of the smallest rooms in our homes is usually our
bathrooms. Finding space to store the "stuff" we want and need
in a bathroom can be a challenge.The following ideas may be
useful to you for bathroom storage:
1. Repurpose stuff - I use an umbrella stand in my bathroom to
hold toilet paper, a plant stand to hold shampoos and bath
stuff, and a pedestal fruit bowl to hold washcloths.
2. Decorate with your bathroom "stuff". The obvious thing is
to hang your bathroom linens on hooks on the walls (I made a
set for my bathroom out of the lids from three wooden
canisters I was not using. BTW, I used the canisters
themselves as "lifts" in some of my tablescapes").
3. Use the back of your bathroom door for storage. Humble
chicken wire makes a great storage unit. I saw this last
weekend, where a door was covered with chicken wire and when
hooks were hung off the wire holding lots of things, including
baskets holding stuff. This I will be doing myself soon. You
might think this would only "work" in real primitive decor,
but that wasn't true in this case. The baskets hanging off the
wire were very contemporary making the end result look
contemporary as well.
4. Your over-the-toilet and under-the-sink storage will vary
with each bathroom design. No matter what your sink design is,
storage can be "made" if none exists by skirting the sink to
hide things under it, or by putting baskets, boxes (even
hatboxes) or tins under it in full view.
A good wall mounted storage unit (perhaps over the toilet) is
a video/DVD stand, mounted on it's side.
5. Look up. Can you mount shelving over the door or the
mirror? Do your current cabinets go all the way to the
ceiling? Mine don't and I store stuff on top of the cabinets.
6. Can you maximize the storage you have? I found I could
store more by separating "stuff" into baskets and stacking
them inside the closets/drawers.
7. Would taking the doors off your cabinets/closets make more
storage? This may be counter-intuitive, but it did work in one
of my bathrooms. I was able to use some of my collections
(baskets, aluminumware,milk glass) as both storage and decor.
8. Can you mount storage on the SIDE of cabinets or closets in
your bathroom? Maybe a magazine rack on the side of a cabinet
near the toilet or shelving near the sink and/or mirror?
9. What about shelves UNDER the cabinets you have?
10. Can any storage be made INSIDE your tub or shower stall? I
found a rack that sits across the bathtub (from side to side)
that I store bath stuff in.
"Stuff" storage just got easier.
Nancy, the Frugal Decorating Diva, turning "stuff" you have
and don't want, into "stuff " you need. Read more about how to
do that at http://www.FrugalByDesign.com
or email Nancy at