Professional Moving Companies
By Manerva Archer
* Will professional movers pack everything for me?
Movers offer a service that will carry all your belongings to the place
where you will relocate. Almost all the things are brought to your home
including your furniture and large appliances. The moving company may require
specific amount of materials for delivery. Most of the moving companies only
cater to large amounts of luggage other than minor movers.
Anything from plants to pets, to furniture, to home appliances is acceptable
for most moving companies. Just read the moving company's information sheets as
some moving companies. Each has its own guidelines as to what is an isn't
* How secure are my possessions while on the moving van?
Your moving company should always make your possessions secure during
travel. They should be
liable for any destroyed object in the trip. You should
always choose a company that gives this kind of service.
• After the service of the moving company, check for the things that has
been ruined or lost during the
• Give the detailed description about the missing object in your checklist.
You should keep yourself
aware of the mover’s liability on the ruined or missing
materials referring to the amount of insurance
protection given by the moving
• File a loss or damage to the company in nine months after your properties
has been delivered.
• Do not accept a settlement offer or mover’s claim for denial. You can try
to contact the American
Moving and Storage Association if you are not fully
satisfied with the service they gave you.
* What if the movers break something?
Most of the moving companies promise a safe and secured travel. You need to
make sure that the contract you will be signing with the moving company includes
provisions committing them to replace the items damaged or ruined during their
transfer of your belongings.
Most moving companies offer replacements to your belongings that have been
wrecked during the travel. These companies are willing to replace the things
because it is a part of the contract. Just make sure that your chosen company is
reliable to make good on the contract. Never choose a moving company that does
not offer this service.
* Should I get my own moving insurance or does the moving company insure my
You should always make sure that your belongings are safe during travel. To
secure your belongings, get them insured. However, what is the best way to get
them insured? These are some of the steps to help you secure your belongings
with a moving company.
• Ask about the difference between valuation and regular insurance.
• Ask the exact amount of the insurance you want to have.
• Have all your valuable items insured. You should obtain an appraisal that
says that your belongings
are of high value. You should present receipts to
prove that they are expensive.
• Have all your valuable items in a photo, or take a video of them.
• Sign a conditional inventory, which describes your expected condition
after the delivery. The
inventory should include the missing items in your
• Call the mover and inform them about your concern. File a claim as soon as
* How can I find out whether a moving company is reputable?
You as a costumer have the right to ask about the background of a particular
moving company. You need to know whether they are capable of giving you the
service you deserve.
To find a reputable moving company, you can ask other people about how the
company serves them. You can also try logging on to some websites that give you
pointers on how to choose a reputable moving company.
Moving companies should be open to any questinos you have regarding the
services they offer. Feel free to ask questions, the Customer Care Agents are
there to provide you with answers to your questions.
Manerva Archer is a regular contributor to moving- and
corporate relocation-related books and sites such as
Your Moving Headquarters. Website: