to Warm Up Your Winter Nest
By Pamela Cole Harris
Winter is here (brrrrr!) and with it comes ice, wind and snow!
Its the perfect time to nest at home! But is your home a friendly and cozy place
for those you love? Or is your décor so gloomy that people go outside just to
warm up? Here are some ways to make your home a warm and inviting shelter this
1. Add pillows and accessories with splashes of rich warm colors
such as reds, oranges and gold
2. Bring in some fall foliage or pine boughs in wreathes or
table arrangements. They are especially effective over the fireplace.
3. Use cozy, soft and plush fabrics in cushions and upholstery
that you want to snuggle up to velvets, mohair and chenille.
4. Throw warm afghans, quilts or down throws over chairs and
sofas to invite cuddling. The layering of fabrics adds richness and texture to
5. Place candles with spicy scents around the home vanilla or
cinnamon evoke feelings of comfort. Place mirrors behind the candles to magnify
the candles warmth and reflection. Candlelight always softens and warms a room.
6. Place a colorful welcome rug at the front door. How about a
bright red one?
7. Layer oriental or kilim rugs on the floor to add texture,
dimension and elegance.
8. Add rich drapes to create a cocoon of warmth in the room but
make sure you leave them open during the day.
9. Move your sofa and chairs closer to the fireplace to maximize
the warmth and intimacy it gives the room.
10. To combat the extra gloom of winter, add extra lamps with
warm incandescent light bulbs. Use lamps instead of overhead lighting for a more
11. Use more gold, brass and copper in accessories. You can even
change the hardware on furniture and cabinets to add an extra spark!
12. Be sure to keep arrangements of fresh flowers to remind your
family that spring is coming!
13. Make a cozy reading corner with a comfortable, over-stuffed
chair, table and lamp. Curling up in a cozy corner with a good book is one of
the best things about winter!
14. Warm up your furniture with slipcovers in soft colors and
fabrics. When spring comes, you can cool the room down again by removing the
15. Arrange treasured pictures of family in warm wood frames
around your home.
16. If you want a larger project, paint your walls in rich
shades of red, orange or yellow. What a wonderful way to brighten long, grey
17. If you have high, stark ceilings, try lowering the ceiling
with darker, warmer hue to establish a more intimate space.
18. Arrange furniture in groups for easy conversation. A small
table and a couple of chairs or footstools will encourage people to gather
19. Pamper your guests and yourself with big thick towels on a
towel warmer. Just think of getting out of the tub on a cold night and wrapping
yourself in the soft warmth of terry.
Adding warmth to your home can be accomplished easily and with
only a few dollars. But the best way to make your home a welcoming haven?
20. Laughter. Smiles and laughter will warm up your room and
your heart. What better way to chase away the chill!
Pamela Cole Harris is an editor, writer, eco-decorator and the author of
100+ Wildly Imaginative Ways to Create Your Own Coffee Table (available at
http://www.lulu.com/pamelacoleharris . Visit her website
, for her unique view of home decorating and remodeling (and a free monthly