10 Home Decorating Ideas To Quickly Update Any Room
By Michael J. Holland
Not all home decorating ideas require a heavy investment of time
and money. If you're looking for a few affordable home interior decorating ideas
to freshen up a room over a weekend, try these ten:
1. Rearrange The Furniture- Pull your furniture away from the
walls. Try positioning it at intriguing angles. For example, a sofa arranged
diagonally across a narrow living room will make the room look wider.
2. Paint A Wall- Paint one wall your favorite color and make it
the focal point. Hang interesting art on that wall and move a nice piece of
furniture there. (Note: Make sure that the color is one that is shared with
several other objects and fabrics in the room.)
3. Bring In Plants- Greenery always adds a breath of fresh air
to a room. If you don't have a green thumb, try silk plants and trees. The
quality has gotten so good that its hard to distinguish them from the real
4. Lay An Area Rug- An area rug is a wonderful way of defining a
conversation area. Try one that complements the room. Lay it at an angle beneath
your coffee table.
5. Hang Pictures or Mirror- Hang pictures that reflect your
personality. Try frames that are more ornate. When hanging a mirror, try and
position it so that it reflects and nice view or an interesting architectural
6. Group Figurines- Pull out your favorite collectibles. Show
off your personality. Find a display area and group related objects together, in
sets of three or five. Try and vary the shapes.
7. Add Decorative Pillows- The good news about decorative
pillows is that they are an easy way to add textures and patterns to a room.
Still better, they can be changed to jazz up a sofa or chair before your room is
ready for a major makeover.
8. Replace Lamps- Lamps are probably the one thing in your home
that will give others a clue that your room is outdated. Seek out new and fresh
lamps that make a statement.
9. Add A Throw Or Afghan- Similar to decorative pillows, throws
and afghans add texture to your furniture. They come in all kinds of natural and
man made fabrics. Find a pattern and style that you like.
10. Eliminate Clutter- Clutter has a way of eliminating the
desired mood and effect of any room. Find storage spaces for papers, toys, and
other items that take from the personality of a room.