For some, Valentine’s Day can seem like a huge, expensive wrench in the middle of the winter calendar. Sure, it’s fun to pamper your loved one and remind them why you love them so much, but isn’t there a way to do that without having to spend hundreds on one day?!
Of course there is! Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a big expense. In fact, some of the best Valentine’s Day ideas that your loved one is sure to remember forever are also among the most budget-friendly.
Try on some of these frugal Valentine’s Day ideas to enjoy an exceptional day without paying an exceptional price:
1. Cook dinner for your loved one. One of the most special things you can do for your loved one on Valentine’s Day is to cook them a wonderful dinner. And as luck would have it, this is also one of the most budget-friendly Valentine’s ideas.
2. Go to nice places without spending money. Take your date to a really nice restaurant or cafe and enjoy a cup of tea before departing to your next venue. Just because you’re in a nice setting doesn’t mean you have to spend a lot of money while you’re there. Also, dates in which you visit a few different places on the same night provide the feeling of having done and seen a lot more than you actually did.
3. Buy a plant, not flowers. Flowers are such a huge part of Valentine’s that many women expect to receive them. How boring is that? Stand out from the crowd and save money at the same time by buying your date a plant. Something like a berry, fruit, or herb plant may cost a fraction of what a dozen roses cost. And unlike the roses, an herb plant will be around long enough to see March.
4. The “reasons I love you” game. Buy a box of Valentine’s day cards in bulk. Fill each card with one reason why you love her. You can number them to make it seem like there are more reasons than there are cards. In other words, “reason #42 I love you, reason #97 I love you...” instead of “reason #1, reason #2...” Leave these cards all over the house or plant them in various places so she’ll find them throughout the day (car, work desk, shower, pillow, kitchen, etc).
5. Take a romantic stroll. Few things are cheaper than going for a walk. Taking a stroll around a nice park, bookstore, neighborhood, or market can be very romantic too. Share fond memories and hopes for the future with your loved one while holding hands on a romantic walk through the park. Bill at checkout? $0.