By Kim Beardsmore
If you are a mom at home on a diet, you will probably related to
a frequent situation I encounter as a weight loss consultant. Many of my clients
with children are able to keep to a healthy eating plan through most
circumstances except two. It all starts to go astray when the kids come home
from school, or when they are preparing school lunches.
It's no surprise really. Kids love snacks we buy from the
supermarket, and parents love them because they are quick and easy to throw into
the lunchbox or for kids to grab from the shelves in the pantry. Small bags of
chips, tasty bite size crackers, sodas and the like. No problem. Except when it
comes to mom's weight loss program. Mom loves them too!
These products are high in fat, high in energy and high in
refined sugars. And after one, two or three nibbles it is possible to wrack up
an unwanted 500 calories. This single act will probably stall your weight loss
or even worse!
To stop your kids from sabotaging your weight loss efforts, here
are 20 snack ideas for kids that will do far less damage to your weight loss
program if mom nibbles (just a little).
1. Chop up ½ tinned pear or other fruit in natural juice and set
in 200mls of low calorie jelly. Make up into individual disposable plastic
containers with lids.
2. Cut up crisp vegetable sticks with dipping sauce - ranch,
peanut (satay), sweet chili or tomato.
3. Cut celery sticks 6-8 cm, fill with cottage cheese and top
with sultanas or chopped nuts.
4. Combine a mixture of low fat hard cheese cubes, nuts and
dried fruits in plastic wrap or a lunch bag.
5. Roll up thin slices of carrot and celery with grated cheese
in a slice of cold meat. Secure with toothpick. Slice the carrot and celery with
a vegetable peeler for really thin slices.
6. Cut oranges into quarters and freeze on trays. Put into
plastic bags for a fruity ice block.
7. Meatball surprise. Next time you are making meatloaf, double
the quantity and make a batch of meatballs. These are great in lunchboxes cold.
Add a slice of pineapple with a toothpick to each meatball. Add dipping tomato
sauce if required.
8. Mini quiches….make a batch of crust-less quiche and cook in
muffin tray. Each 'muffin' will be a wonderful healthy snack for kids.
9. Chilled fruit surprise - slice a combination of strawberries,
bananas, kiwi fruit, watermelon, grapes or in season fruit. Place in small
resealable plastic container. Top with apple juice; do not overfill. Seal,
freeze. When packed in lunchbox, will keep sandwiches cool and prove a
refreshing treat on a hot day.
10. Rice cakes spread with mashed avocado, mashed banana and
cinnamon, or try mashed avocado, sliced tomato and sprouts.
11. Chopped hard-boiled egg served with low fat mayo, salt,
pepper on a crisp bread.
12. Leaf wrappers: wrap a cheese finger, celery stick and carrot
stick in a lettuce leaf. Wrap in foil and place in lunchbox. Contents will be
13. Yoghurt tub.
14. Baby Bell Cheese and low fat cracker.
15. Creamy dates: slice dates lengthways, remove stone. Fill
with Philadelphia cream cheese (low fat).
16. Quick sausage rolls: wrap a skinned (good quality) sausage
in several sheets of filo pastry. Brush pastry with beat egg to glaze. Cut into
desired lengths. Bake in moderately hot oven for 15-20 minutes. Rolls can be
17. Same as above but use fresh chicken breast strips and cut to
2" - use tomato or favorite dipping sauce
18. After school hot snack attack: Spread a round of pita bread
with tomato paste and herbs. Top with tomato, ham, mortadella, add onion, sliced
mushrooms or pineapple. Sprinkle grated low fat hard cheese over pita bread.
Grill to make a tasty pizza. If no pita bread is available, substitute a crisp
19. Fruity kebabs: place bite size pieces of fruit in season on
20. Pop top sandwich tuna tin, crisp bread, sachet of
mayonnaise. Kids can put their snack together at school so that it doesn't go
Remember fresh is best both for yourself and your children. By
substituting these ideas for some of the prepackaged snack food and cookies your
kids eat you will be doing both them and yourself a favor.
Kim is a successful weight loss coach who will cut through the diet-hype and
help you reach your goal weight. No public 'weigh-ins', meetings that cost you
money or fads...simply results you will love! You can receive a free
consultation. Visit today:
http://tinyurl.com/6l2cd Are you interested in earning money from home? We
can help you grow a profitable home business: