10 Dollar Saving Bedroom Ideas
By Liz Beresford
1. If sheer curtains appeal but you can't sleep with the
moonlight and early morning sunshine streaming in, then fit a slim blackout
blind unobtrusively inside the window frame. It won't show when its rolled up
and when unfurled will just Look as if its a dark night outside.
2. Give white bed linen a new lease of life. Buy satin ribbons
or braiding and sew one band or two a little way in from the hems of your white
pillowcases and sheets. As white bed linen is very often cheaper, you could buy
white bed linen and give it a makeover.
3. Want a pile of throw cushions on your bed? Find remnants at
fabric stores and use them to make expensive looking cushion covers.The wedding
fabric department often has luscious silk, satin and velvet pieces at a fraction
of the usual price. Foam cushion inners are inexpensive.
4. Sprinkle bed linen with rose or lavender water to give it a
fresh scent. Or use scented laundry waters when ironing your bed linen. Lavender
is said to help one sleep.
5. If you can't afford new curtains buy used second hand
curtains. You can lengthen them by adding a band of a matching or contrasting
fabric. Different textures also look good. For example a cream satin band on
plain cream or white Indian cotton. This trick can also be used to increase
6. Plenty of hanging space but not much else? Buy more hangers
and hang your T shirts, blouses, shirts and sweaters, and anything else that is
hang-able. Shops hang them up and so can you!
7. Make use of under bed space by storing clothes in baskets or
boxes fitted with castors. Alternatively buy a cheap second hand chest of
drawers. With castors fitted to the drawers they make perfect under bed storage
8. Buy clear plastic shoe bags and use the pockets to keep
scarves, belts, socks or any other small items. Hang in your wardrobe or behind
the door. These are also handy in the bathroom for spare soap, washcloths,
toothpaste and shampoo, or anything else you can think of.
9. Costume jewellery is hard to keep untangled. Buy the tallest
mug tree you can find and hang your necklaces and beads on its branches.
10. To keep your linen organized buy plastic crates of a size to
fit your linen cupboard shelves. Label them: Double Bed Sheets, Single Sheets,
Pillow Slips and so on. Your linen will never get into a muddle again. If you
have open shelves use wicker baskets instead of plastic.