Cherry Facts and Tips
by Angela Billings
Below are some helpful tips, facts and a recipe about those
delicious cherries that will be ripe on the tree before you know it.
*Look for a supple exterior and a bright color. Keep them dry and discard
any crushed fruit .
* Avoid cherries with blemishes, rotted or mushy skins, or those that appear
either hard and light-colored or soft, shriveled, and dull.
* Look for cherries that are plump with firm, smooth, and brightly colored
*Good quality cherries should have green stems attached.
* Cherries do not ripen further after harvest.
* Cherries bruise easily; handle with care.
* Both the sweet and sour types should be refrigerated as soon as possible,
although the sweets are more durable. Chilling not only preserves, but also
seems to improve the flavor.
* Raw sweet cherries: 1 cup contains 81 calories, and is a source of Vitamin
C and potassium.
* Rinse in cool water and drain, in a single layer, on paper towel.
* Both sweet and sour can be made into jams, preserves or brandied.
*Rich in bio-flavonoids and ellagic acid. Studies show cherries to be a good
source of antioxidants and darker cherries will have higher levels than
* Fat-free, Saturated fat-free, Sodium-free,Cholesterol-free, A good source
A Quick Cherry Snack Recipe