Money on Auto Insurance
By Nikki Willhite
I've mentioned before, my husband has been an insurance adjuster for about a
quarter of a century. One thing I have learned- Insurance Companies are not
alike. Some have higher premiums. Others offer better service.
As far as saving money on
your rates, here are some things to keep in mind:
state has an Insurance Department.
Send for all the free information they have. Each state is different as far
as average premiums and the legal coverage required. Find out the basics so
you can comparison shop.
- Get the highest deductible you
feel comfortable with. The higher
the deductible, the lower the premium.
- If you insure more than one car
with the same company, you should qualify for a Multi-car
If you also insure your home, it is a Multi-line
- Ask about good driver discounts. Several companies offer them to adults, as well as
the good student discounts.
- Avoid buying cars that cost more
to repair or have a high rate of theft. They have higher premiums.
- If you have an older car that is not worth much money, think carefully before
buying collision coverage. Your premiums will be more than you would get
on any claim.
To determine the value of your car, consult the Kelley
- If you don't put a lot of mileage
on your car each year, or use it to drive to work, ask for a low
- If you have air bags, you
can may also receive a discount.
- If you have a choice, your premiums will be less in more
rural areas than in the city, where more accidents occur.