10 Best Diet Foods
By Richard Walker
When it comes to the best diet foods, it is important to remember that a healthy, balanced diet is the best way to lose weight. Through portion and calorie control, you can lose weight without feeling hungry:
1. Non-fatty fish-This is a good source of protein and Omega 3 fatty acids that is high in nutrients and has no carbohydrates or fat. Grilled or broiled salmon, cod and perch are great tasting and good for you but low calorie and highly nutritious, which makes them some of the best diet foods.
2. Low Carbohydrate Fruits-Since fruit includes natural sugar, which can also convert to fat, some fruits are not as high in natural sugars as others are. Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit halves can be eaten with artificial sweetener, lemons can be baked with fish or added to artificially sweetened tea. Avoid bananas and fruit juices since they are higher in calories.
3. Green Vegetables-Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Lettuce, and Green Beans are high in Vitamins A & C, and high in fiber, yet low in calories and carbohydrates. A lettuce salad is always good with low calorie dressing, and cooked or raw broccoli, kale, and cabbage are good in soups and green beans are especially tasty with mushrooms and onions, which bring us to the next best diet foods.
4. Mushrooms, Onions, Celery, Carrots and Green Peppers-These are low calorie, contain vitamins and minerals, great for snacks or flavoring in soups, salads, or as a topping for fish, chicken and low fat beef.
5. Poultry, such as chicken or turkey-Great protein, low fat, and carbohydrates, baked, broiled, boiled, or grilled. You can slice and add to a salad or add to vegetables for a hearty stew.
6. Eggs-A good source of protein and low in carbohydrates. You can make omelets or a frittata by adding chicken breast, vegetables and serving with salsa. Boiled eggs are a great low calorie snack and one of the best diet foods.
7. Cheeses-While these are higher in fat, they are nutritious, flavorful and low in carbohydrates. Great to add to eggs or make a lettuce wrap with sliced broiled chicken or salmon.
8. Brown Rice-Brown rice is lower in carbohydrates than white rice and adds fiber, which is filling. Make a stir-fry with vegetables and chicken or turkey, add to vegetable soups, or stuff peppers with rice, egg, ground turkey and top with cheese.
9. Non-fatty Beef-While beef has a higher fat content than fish and chicken, it is a good source of protein, iron and flavorful, especially when topped with onions, mushrooms, and green peppers. Avoid fatty beef like hamburger. Grill a steak and serve with eggs, or make a vegetable beef stew, lettuce wrap, add to stir-fry or slice and top a salad.
10. Jell-O, especially sugar free-This has been one of the best diet foods forever, and it is high in protein, good for your hair and nails, and you can add fruit for a great dessert. You can top it with Lite Cool Whip for a sinfully tasting and low calorie treat that you can have everyday!
The 10 best diet foods can be used in combination to keep your diet from being boring, yet still give you a tasty and filling low calorie meal.